POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Nov 2008 07:47:37
Message: <492fe869$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> - Some of the units claim a contrast ratio of 500:1. Some say 700:1.
>> Others claim 1,000:1. Which is fair enough.
>
> Yep, that's the real contrast.
>
>> But then some claim 10,000:1. (And yet have similar or identical
>> prices.) Am I *really* to believe that you can get 10x more contrast

> That is "dynamic" contrast.  What it actually means is that when the TV
> detects the image is mostly dark, it turns down the backlight (and turns
> up each pixel a corresponding amount to keep the picture looking the
> same), in order to get darker blacks.  The number is mostly meaningless,
> because of course if the image is just plain black you could turn off
> the backlight altogether and get infinite "dynamic" contrast!

Riiight. That's cute...

> Exactly, I think in a "normal" room, anything below 37" you won't be
> able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (unless you sit
> really close).

Can you typically tell the difference between progressive-scan and
interlaced? (Obviously I've been watching interlaced all my life, and I
don't think I've ever seen progressive-scan - except on computer monitors.)

>> - Trying to figure out which TV is going to give me a decent picture
>> is maddeningly difficult.
>
> What are you going to be watching on it? Normal TV through coax cable?
> :-)

Actually, normal TV from a digital receiver and then through a SCART cable.

(BTW, do we know why there's so much ghosting on the picture, even from
a DVD? I thought SCART was supposed to be a good way to transport
signals. Similarly, why do I get electric shocks every time I touch our
video equipment?)

> TBH there isn't much difference between the manufacturers, most
> differences you see in the shop can be introduced or removed by playing
> about with the picture settings.

Yeah, that's the other thing. Is that TV naff, or does it just need the
settings tweaking?

> If you ever want to connect a PC
> (without a DVI output) up to it, check that it has a VGA input socket
> and that it will accept the full resolution (some 1080p sets only accept
> 1024x768 WTF!),

A lot of the TV descriptions seem to leave confusion as to whether
you're buying a "TV" or a "monitor". Hmm... ;-)

>> - What are the best brands to go for?
>
> Again, I think all are mostly the same, there are only 3 or 4 companies
> in the whole world that actually make the display panel itself, everyone
> else just buys these and puts their own electronics and plastic around it.

Heh, figures.

So far, I've observed that the very low-price models have almost no
connectors at all, and the expensive ones have lots of them. It's the
only real difference I can see. (Other than trying to interpret the
brightness / contrast / speed ratings.)

>> - Gotta love the way websites tell you a TV has audio connectors, but
>> neglects to specify whether these are inputs or outputs! :-P
>
> I usually go to the manufacturers site and download the user manual.

Yeah, I think that's probably the best way to get *accurate* data.

>> - What is HDMI? Does anything use it yet? Is there a specific reason

> HDMI is useful to connect your PC to the TV if it has a DVI output (DVI
> and HDMI are electrically the same, you just need a cheap converter
> cable). HDMI cables can be had for under a tenner if you look on amazon
> or ebay.

would you put gold on a connector? The very first time you use it all
the gold will rub off!)

> For TV you can get a freesat receiver and dish for a one-off fee (like
> freeview but via satellite and has a few HD channels).

[I don't know what freeview is either, but apparently some TVs have it
"built-in".]

> Or you can get
> Sky for a load more HD channels, but you will need a monthly
> subscription to get the HD channels.  Expect both of those to continue
> to add many more HD channels over the next few years.

Yeah. If I was a serious HD nut I might do that. Actually, from what
I've seen, HD doesn't look any different to SD. (Face it, it's only a
slightly higher resolution.) Basically I just want a non-broken TV! ;-)

> Or buy a PS3 for 300 pounds, but standalone bluray players are down to
> under 150 pounds now.

My sister's boyfriend has a TV the size of a small star system and a
PS3. (And a Wii, actually.) I had a go at playing "CoD4" on it. It
seemed weird seeing such a vast picture all sharply in focus. Seemed a
tad blurry during movement though...